Just So Stories Final

The process from here was to merge all of my ideas into one image. I liked a few too many things and I wanted to try and incorporate them all in my image, however this was not possible.

I originally had the idea of introducing whales (picture below) into the watercolour image but through trial and error, this didn’t work!

4e203b5ec55c7c9b3293052c3dd603717c1b61a96afbbf5f0e5c8ae9da6764fe-2

So I had my watercolour image and had decided that I was going to use this one painting as a main feature. I think that it is a very unusual image for a cover but I think that it works well with the subtle additions to the page and it would most definitely stand out on a book shelf or as a collectors item.

I wanted to incorporate a story onto the front cover, so I included an image of a boat sailing over the waves similar to the text, just with an absent whale. I wanted an old sailing boat and the image from Pinterest I had originally pinned came in handy for this.

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 02.21.53.png

I wanted to keep the rest of the cover very simple as the watercolour image is very overpowering. The strap line has been placed in a simple white box as I think that the contrast in colours brings the readers attention directly to the text and it is legible and clear. For the title, I chose Quickbrush from my fonts.com as I thought it was a soft and subtle addition to the busy cover and tied in with the theme that I was developing.

For the back cover I wanted to keep it simple also and cut the image to make waves at the bottom of the page;

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 02.22.21

I struggled here to make the watercolour flow, but I think the addition of the boat is quite eye-catching and allows for the waves to have harsher lines.

For the font, I did play around with a lot of different options but after group review, this was the most legible and best suited for this cover. The font colour has been chosen from the eye-dropper tool, by picking certain colours to co-incide with the wave pattern.

I originally wanted to have a completely contrasting colour for my Spine, but it didn’t quite work as planned. The complimentary colours for Turquoise/green are Orange and Magenta, however it was just a little bit too harsh for my preference so I decided to stick to an emerald green.

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 02.22.02

I inserted a boat wheel to the bottom of the spine to bring it altogether.

Finally, we had to insert flaps as the brief was for a Hardback with Flaps. I decided to keep these very simple, as personally I didn’t think it needed much more information on it.

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 02.32.18Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 02.32.24

Becky allowed me to bring my barcode across to the flap page so it did not interfere with the boat image on the back cover. This helped break the page up as I had continued the wave pattern onto this flap.

I decided to leave the right hand flap without any wave to break the cover design up slightly. With this being an informative flap anyway, I thought it would be better this way. In hindsight, I think I would have removed ‘the man who would be King Mandalay’ as it does not seem to flow as well as the rest of the text.

Overall, I am quite happy with how my cover design turned out and I definitely would buy it if I saw it in the shop! I think it is something very different and it stands out from other versions that I have seen.

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 02.39.29.png

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s