I set up a Pinterest board with a lot of images that I thought related well to the text. Below are a just some examples that I picked:
I played around with a few different designs, plus some rough sketches, and decided that I preferred the watercolour image as I am aiming my text at the adult audience.
Here are two of the cover’s I considered;
I liked the paint brush effect that this image had and I thought the simple colour palette would work well with the nature theme that runs throughout Just so Stories. I tried to move the text around to follow the brush stroke but I eventually decided against this image as I thought it would not stand out on a book shelf. Also, I was struggling to decide what colour text to use that would compliment the colour scheme but also stand out so it was visible to the reader.
My second plan was:
As I had taken this image from Pinterest, I was looking at transforming the image by placing different layers on and altering the colour scheme. In an ideal world, I would have changed the snake to a lighter colour so it stood out on the page and perhaps made that the feature of the cover design. I liked the image as I thought it brought the text together quite well and the underlying themes of khaki green reminds me of the forest.
I decided against this image as again, I thought it was a dark image and would lose its charm if I altered with it too much. Unfortunately too, the image is quite busy and I thought my text would be lost on the front cover, especially since we had to include a strap line.